Presented by Jenny Nell Hartung
Continuing Education Information: Completing all parts of this presentation will result in the member completing 2 hours of education focused on instruction techniques, disability education, horse conformation, and theory behind choosing mounts for students.
Certificate of Completion available! Watch Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 and complete the short review quizzes to receive a Certificate of Completion showing 2 hours of learning that focused on instruction techniques, disability education, horse conformation, and theory behind choosing mounts for students. Please note that you will not be able to mark a video as ‘complete’ until you have completed the full time of the video there is a back end course timer). Your Certificate of Completion will be available on this page!
What Will You Learn?
Part 2- Horse Conformation
- Understand the basics of evaluating the conformation and balance of an equine
- Learn the different shapes made by the horse’s rib cage and back and their impact on the rider
- Understand the difference of how balanced, downhill, and uphill built horses may impact the rider
- Understand how riders with typical muscle tone may change their body in response to the balance of the horse
Part 3- Putting it all Together with Emphasis on Abnormal Muscle Tone
- What is muscle tone?
- Learn the difference between hypotonia, spacticity, hypertonia, and clonus
- Learn what disabilities may present with abnormal muscle tone
- Understand how abnormal muscle tone impacts your rider
- Learn how the stretch reflex may impact mucle tone
- Learn commonly accepted practices to increase muscle tone while riding
- Learn commonly accepted practices to decrease muscle tone while riding
This presentation was offered at an International conference in 2015 and was a group project. Jenny would like to recognize the following individuals for their contributions to the original compilation and presentation of this topic:
- Original Course & Content Design: Jenny Nell Hartung, Sandy Webster
- Original Team Leaders: Teresa Morris, Marsha Anderson, Octavia Brown, Marci Bender
Course Completion Progress
Not seeing your progress tracked or green checks next to a lesson? Did you watch the full video (without fast-forwarding)? Please note that you will not be able to mark a video or section as ‘complete’ until you have completed the full time of the video (there is a back end course timer)